Thursday, March 03, 2005

Recap: Part One

I thought I'd give you a little something to tide you over until I can get the full recap up. Actually, it's more than half of the recap, but I just can't take anymore tonight. Our notetakers are just too prolific for me to be able to handle it in one evening...

Quite a crowd was at the Kid Wednesday night, though we were missing a regular. Jeremy was a no-show. I shed a tear, but did my best to perform at my peak level. I know that’s what he would have wanted.

Jude: “This time, there better not be any editing of any damned profanity.”
Who, me?

I sing “When doves cry.” Tara notes it’s for Jude and that “he isn’t even a dove!” Then she writes “scary Ai-Ai-Ai-Ai…” Apparently, someone else says, “’Will she ever get it right?’” Ouch!
Jude adds: “Night’s first, timid robot.” I object! The roboting was song-appropriate!
Tara: “Also first chicken-on-an-escalator. Jude insists ‘and likely last.’” Tara disagrees.

Next up is Dorotha with “Walkin’ after midnight.”
Tara: “Another robot + chicken on an escalator. [Dorotha] gropes Carey[oke] who looks longingly at her.” It’s that sexy walk of hers. I can’t help myself!

Next if Jessie J with “Brass in pocket.”
Tara notes that it was “an attempt to learn the words…excellent choreography.” Indeed!

Next was me with “Welcome to the jungle.”
Tara writes: “More crazy screaming.” Yes, I scared a lot of people. And Sandy asked me if I did such things while TA-ing. Not so much.
Jude: “It’s so disturbingly asexual during the moaning.”
T: “I just thought the ‘moaning’ was disturbing.”
Jeesh, what harsh critics!
Tara notes: “She thinks she might die now.” Yep. That actually hurt some.

You interpret this, I have no idea:
T: “Ang played powder-puff ‘where you yank the crap outta your butt’.”
Jude: “Say no more.”

Jude gets drink #2.

Rhymes-with-Scrabble was next with “New Orleans is sinking.” John (my new fave carey[oke] STAR!) attempted to capture the moment on someone’s phone…
Explains T: “Someone is audioblogging a[s] [Rhymes-with-Scrabble] sings and John holds up the phone so she can hear.”

Next up was Sarah with “I will survive.”
T: “’A disco classic for all time’ – Ang.”
“‘This would be my drag song’ – Greg.” Good choice.
“She robots on demand.”

T: “Discussion of whether chicken on escalator is really a pigeon or ‘bird of choice’ escalator.”

Jude gets drink #3.

By popular demand, JJ sings “I want to know what love is.”
Jude: “Don’t we all.”
T: “Yes, we all sway. Jude pulls out a lighter…and lights Greg on fire.”

Rhymes-with-Scrabble’s next with “Son of a preacher man.”
T: “The sneer is in effect, yo. To the Century, to tha A, to tha…” Yep.

Next JJ and I sing “On my own.” I’d been begging her to do this duet with me for months. We finally do it and they have a crapola version with no rockin’ out Patti at the end. All my practice goes to waste!
T: “Carey[oke] struggles on despite mic problems. Sam calls for harmonizing. They look confused.” Yeah, there actually isn’t any harmonizing in that song. And I can’t come up with some off the top of my head.

Next, by my choice, Ang and “Lovergirl.”
Jude: “A very difficult number.”
T: “Carey[oke] gets up and dances her way to the bar.” How could anyone else help themselves?
Jude: “Tara starts bitching for effect.”
T: “Yes.” And she gets another drink.

Next up: Greg and I with “Suddenly.” I had to practice that one.
Jude notes: “In the key of E flat from Xanadu. Sam say he can usually get a ‘happy ending’ at the Xanadu he knows! Holy [crap]!” I prefer crap, okay? And it’s my PG13 rated blog!

Next: John with “Oh boy.” Holy crap, it was awesome! His dancing was so great! And the humming at the end? That was awesomely awesome! Look at all the exclamation points!
JJ: “Most spastic performance EVAH!!”
Jude: “Evah?”
JJ: “EH-VAH!”

JJ next with “Chains of Love.” Erasure, finally! Dorotha has been saying someone should sing Erasure for forever! It was “a crowd favorite” with uber-awesomely awesome video. There was a couple wearing matching outfits – red button-down shirts and overalls. And they’d roll around on the ground with the words “love” and/or “hate” separating them or next to them or something. And sometimes there were chains. Which was a little creepy.

T: “Jude and John do shots.”
J: “Yeah? So? Mind yer own bidness!”

Next up was Chad with “New York, New York.” Quite rockin’. He says something about the Yankees. Jude does not respond pleasantly.

John and Dorotha: “Bad moon rising” It sure does sound like, “’there’s a bathroom on the right.’”

Next Rhymes-with-Scrabble, “which rhymes with ‘Yahtzee’” (Jude’s writing, but I believe props are due to Greg) with “Missionary man.” Solid performance. I believe Hot Tony dances. Rhymes-with-Scrabble looks hot in her red leather Michael Jackson beat-it jacket.

Next are Amy and Sean with “Islands in the stream.” We love Dolly and Kenny!
Jude: “Karaoke newbies! [something I can’t understand about Dolly Parton]...Much dancing – sweet!”

Some guy sings that “If you could read my mind song.” A little slow. Who in the heck sings that song? For her Redskinnettes tryouts, my old roommate had to do a routine to a dance remix of that song. Imagine that!

Someone sings a Hootie song.
Jude informs: “Jessie J says – and I quote – ‘L-A-M-E.’ Nothing more needs to be said.”
He refuses us the robot. People are not happy.

A classic is next: Ang and Greg with “Light my candle.” Does it get better every time or is it just me?
I think Sam writes: “Tara is moaning in blissful ecstasy because this is her favorite song/ Greg and Ang are exchanging meaningful glances during the breaks.”

Someone with a really daggone nice voice sings “Crazy.” She has a Nebraska shirt on. My dad’s from Nebraska! Husk! Husk! Husk!

Hot Tony sings a song with audience participation. While he’s trying to explain, Dorotha yells “Stop talking.” We laugh.
T: “Tony does some crazy combination of the robot and the pigeon on the escalator.” Awesomely awesome.

Jess and I are next with “Sweet love” by Kenny Loggins and Stevie Nicks.
T: “Fabulous harmonizing.” Thank you. I now I practiced. Kenny rocks. As does Stevie. And, of course, JJ!

Next Rhymes-with-Scrabble with “Desert rose.” I leave Jeremy a 2 and a half minute long message of it. We all join in on the yodeling. It was awesomely awesome!
And of course, everyone’s favorite “crazy spastic Sting robot!!!”

Amy and Sarah are next with “Something to talk about.”
T: “They rule the school.”

T: “Jude flips us off. Again.”

Next Ang and I sing “I knew you were waiting for me.”
T: “’What could be better than George Michael and Aretha?” – JJ. Well Carey[oke] and Ang obviously. Awesomely awesome indeed.”

Next is awesomely awesome Jeff with “Hey ya!”
We dance. And it was awesomely awesome. That guy’s got stage presence, I tell ya!

Next is Chad with “Should I stay or should I go.” He dedicates it to Angela because she loves the Clash and me because he always forgets my name (and I say things occasionally like, “Do you even know my name?!”)
I yell: “Best professorial robot!” Of the night at least. He and Jeremy should stage a professorial robot-off some time.
T: “Chad was coolest faculty member of the night.”

The robot-refuser sings again. I think the notes say he does the robot this time, though I don’t recall seeing it.

Sarah M. and Alan (I ask the spelling) sing “Leaving on a Jet Plane.” Love Peter, Paul & Mary (because that was the version, so don’t get all pissy about John Denver being the one who wrote it, etc.).

John the “new karaoke [don’t you mean ‘careyoke?’] MVP,” says Tara, sings “Paint it black.” Tara does not lie.

Angela (joined by Dorotha and me) sing “Total eclipse.” Awesomely awesome of course! I was scared with her head banging that Dorotha might knock out a couple of teeth on the microphone. But no. Nor did she hit me in the teeth with it when I would grab it for the “turn around” parts.

Stay tuned for more fun recap info!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the recapping. The snarkier, the better, in my opinion.

Re: "If you could read my mind song." Brad sings that. I don't know. I'm not responsible for him. He wants to name his son "Woodrow." His fiancee thinks it might possibly be ok if they name their dog "Woodrow."

Re: Hootie and lack of robotics. Dave just got dumped. He's kind of pathetic right now. Ok, "kind of" doesn't really suffice. Karaoke was supposed to be therapeutic. Hence, Hootie. And I didn't warn him about the robot. He didn't understand. Sorry, everyone.

Re: Daggone nice voice. Hannah. Surprised the hell out of those of us who know her. Didn't know the girl had pipes.

I move that hereafter, Cabell shall be called, "Shuffleboard." I've been calling her Chutes and Ladders but I'm bored with that.

Shuffleboard told me that when she walked in and was fishing for her ID, the bartender told the ID-guy, "Dude. You don't need to. That's [SHUFFLEBOARD]." Which is, as you say, awesomely awesome.

--Sara M.

11:22 AM  
Blogger dorotha said...

you don't go into enough detail about jon's enthusiastic off-key singing and happy child-like dancing. also, when are you gonna get to my performance of yoda?

2:21 PM  
Blogger Careyoke said...

ARGH! Nothing pleases you! This was only part one of the recap. Yoda is in part two. It was later in the evening.

And I don't know if any words I can write will do justice to Jon's (not John, whoops, sorry) spazztastic dancing. But any time you want to see my impression of it, just ask.

2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I leaned how to dance watching Charlie Brown movies. So what?

Next time I'll do "Strutter" by Kiss. . .

jon

3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome recap so far. I have to agree that Jon is our greatest new karaoke addition. Keep up the good work!!

JJ

5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home