Thursday, March 24, 2005

Recappin' #1

Ok, because I waited so long, I am not sure who wrote what. Each new person (as far as I can tell) will start with a dash. I will identify people where I can. Otherwise, enjoy your (almost) anonymity. Except for you, Jude. I can always tell when it’s you.

I started off, apparently, with “Jeremy” for Jeremy. It was his birthday the day before.
-“It seems that Jeremy is a very bad boy.” Because of the lyrics of the song, see.
-“Nice falsetto!” says Ang.
-“Every last ‘Woo!’ on point!” (That should be a double underline, but I don’t know if blogger can handle that. But that’s how impressive I was.)

Jeff and Ang were next with “Don’t go breakin’ my heart.” Finally Jeff is there for a full night of careyoke! Finally I gave him enough warning about it for him to adjust his work schedule accordingly. The notes give me props for my audience participation. Of course! Rule 2! – though they don’t really need it.

Next is JJ with “Papa don’t preach.”
-“She’s made up her mind, apparently, no matter what Danny Aiello says.”
Do you remember how the Catholic Church (I believe) was peeved at this song and made up a “parody” video in retaliation with nuns and priests singing “Madonna don’t preach”? Or was that just because I went to Catholic school? It doesn’t make any sense though. She’s *keeping* her baby. That’s what they want, right?

Next, a “Josh and Carey cheese [yum!] fest.” The song title is not noted, but I believe it is Atlantic Starr’s “Always.”
-“I want to marry them both. Any chance I could get added on to that ticket?” (Looks like Ang, from my comparing handwriting, though I do not profess to be an expert. Anyway, sweet! I'll see what I can do...)
-“And harmonies!” Yep. We practiced that one a lot for our last joint careyoke.

Then Jon (finally spelled correctly) with “Oh boy.”
-“A modern classic. The grimace makes it.”
-Then there’s something that makes no sense to me: “New addition: ‘Dum dah dum-dum – OH BOY!’” Wha?
-I write: “I LOVE HIM.” But the “O” is shaped like a heart.

Then Dorotha and JJ with Rick Astley’s “Together forever.” Awesomely awesome choice, lovies! And there was a weird video with a bird-headed men. Seriously.

Then Greg and Ang with “Candle.” Classic.

JJ with “Give it away now.”
-I was very excited and wrote “Holy crap! Why have we never though of that before?! Great dancing!” and strangely “mic to the butt because it took a really long time to end then song” (did you do that for me?) apparently because there were “lots of ‘give it away nows’” at the end of the song.


Then the Growly Twins, Dorotha and Jeremy, with “Take me to the river.”
- Someone wrote something suggestive…
- I wrote something far less suggestive, sort of: “Growling is their fave.” Jeremy basically gave up on any semblance of singing and growled the whole thing. “Competitive growling.”
- “Now they’re out-popeying each other.” I think that’s Ang. Ask her.
- “Most disturbing performance EVER.” How many times has that been said now?

Next: Jess with “Bust a move.”
- “AWESOMELY AWESOME,” I write. Jeff seriously is a superstar.

Then me with “Sweet child o’ mine.” I got a standing O.

Then Ang with “Oh Mickey,” by one hit wonder Toni Basil. It rocked! I attempted cheerleading. Yikes! Don’t let me have so much to drink!

Jon again (yesssss!) with “Surrender” by Cheap Trick. I am so out of the know when it comes to Cheap Trick, except for “The flame.” Will you sing that next time, Jon? Then we can do more pervy slow-dancing in the audience…I will get to that soon…

Then Tiffany, Lisa and I sing “My lovin’ (never gonna get it).” From careyoke classics version 1.0. Where’s 2.0? Ask Jeremy. I’m waiting…

Then Joshie with “Runaround Sue.” He was really freakin’ good! Jon says something about that guy giving him a run for his money with the oldies. I’ll say! Though no one can replace you, Jon!

- Randomly, the notes say: “Jeremy says ‘Bestiality rocks.’”

Then Greg, Ang and Dorotha with that song from the School of Rock. Ang is so amazing! And there was some fantastic gecko-ing during that number!
- Lisa says that Dorotha does “dramatic robot” and “the best robot ever.” Though she’s no Soundwave or…that little cassette guy. See Dorotha’s blog for explanation. You know I don’t know how to link!

Then is JJ with “I love rock and roll.” Clever JJ sings “He looks about…34” instead of 17. Quick on her toes is that one!

Then Josh and I do “Video killed the radio star.”
- Someone (Dorotha, is that you? Sounds like you!) writes “Sap fest” and it’s circled about 20 million times. Wha? How could we possibly make that song sappy? The same person writes, however, “really awesome on both sides”

Then I heard some careyoke reminiscing…
- Lisa: “Remember when Jeremy was Earl?” So what does she do? She sings “Goodbye, Earl” of course! And Jeremy plays Earl again. Hilarity ensues…
- Earl explains to us what the FFA is and argues Earl’s innocence. Then he “dies.” Though he does and then is resurrected (Happy Easter!) so that for every new chorus he can die again. Seriously. You need to see this. It is crazy. I’ll try to describe…During one death sequence, he knocks over the stool on the stage, drops the microphone, and flails around so much that Lisa has to get off the stage.
- Ang adds: “Awesome convulsions!”
- Lisa then puts her foot on his stomach, indicating how she has conquered Earl. Well done!

Then Greg and Jeremy with “Brick.” There are complaints because that song is SO FRICKIN’ DEPRESSING!!!
- “Sweet hot Jesus,” says Jude about this being Jeremy’s ex-girlfriend’s song.
- Jude notes: “Jeremy is on a tear.” I don’t know what a tear is. Jude explains.

Then Jeremy (Jeesh! Again?!) and JJ with “Humpty dance.” A nice birthday treat for Jeremy.

Next: Dorotha, Jon, and me with “Livin’ on a prayer.” We had to reprise this one. I am constantly reminded of the last time we sang it because I have a pic of Dorotha and I, mid-performance, with awesomely awesome fist pumping action from D-mouse. (Does that sound pervy? It’s not supposed to.) I have great Venezuelan yellow and orange earrings on. Thanks, Gwennie!
- Jude writes: “Carey[oke] works the crowd. Much yelling. Everyone suffers hearing loss. Greg comes on to me in a way that’s far more disturbing than usual.”
- I guess Tara writes: “Awww…I thought it was sweet.”
- Jude responds: “For the record, Tara is drunk as a monkey.”

Ok…Tired. At least I gave you a little something to tide you over until I can do the rest.

3 Comments:

Blogger dorotha said...

i didn't write the thing about you and joshie being sappy, um, but you totally are.

anyway, it seems like i don't sing enough at careyoke. do i just drink the whole time? is that all i do? jeez!

1:51 PM  
Blogger jeremy said...

Awesomely awesome. I haven't even uploaded the pictures from that night, I wonder if there are any good ones.

5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't even realize that you had started a recap! I think we should all start doing karaoke full-time. Forget this sociology crap. Then we'd go every week and have time to do recaps and post pictures.

BTW, Rhymes-with-Scrabble was sorely missed. How can it truly be karaoke w/o her fabulous outfits, Sting-like wailing, and kick-ass dance moves???

-jj

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home