Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Seriously. This economy stuff blows.

I just talked to someone at a school I applied to and, though the search hasn't been cancelled, it sounds like it's been put on some serious kind of hold. It also sounds like the job may morph in some way when it is out of this holding pattern. I am thinking it might not be tenure-track anymore or something. I said, I picked a great year to finish. She kindly pointed out that things are going to continue to be sucky b/c there will be a backlog of qualified people from this year, and, therefore, even under better circumstances, more people per job than usual for several years to come. Awesome. I barely had it in my to finish. Do I have it in me to work my butt off for some publications just to maybe, possibly be able to get an academic job in a few years? Not to mention issues of money, possible additional children, and Josh wanting to get to do something he actually likes.


But look...Eli is cute...and "crying" has maybe worked (though I refuse to say it has definitively b/c I don't want to jinx things...I probably just did), although it actually involved a lot less crying than ever occurred when we used to go in his room to "soothe" him back to sleep. Apparently, we cause crying. Also, maybe it was too cold for him.


Oh, and in other news, Eli is over 9 months old now. He weighs approx. 25.5 lbs and measures close to 31 inches. He is still off the charts, but he's a little slow in terms of moving around - nothing close to crawling, pulling himself up to stand, or getting himself from lying to sitting. We are currently working on said skills as well as the "pincer" grasp - the last skill with the aid of Cheerios. We are officially a family: there are mutilated Cheerio bits everywhere you turn.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those two little bottom teeth just kill me. And the cheeks. OH GOD, THE CHEEKS!

Seriously, dude. I'm starting to think that academia/tenure track is a joke. None of my incredibly smart friends are getting jobs. And I'm sorry, there are only so many journals that you could possibly get published in. I hope something comes through for you. You never know what can happen...JJ

12:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did manage to get a job (luckily, after my second year trying), but the market does seem to particularly suck this year, I was really lucky. Sorry to hear what happened to yours. Maybe you can still try postdocs? Some of the deadlines are still not over yet, right? Anyway, good luck to you, I'm sure you'll do really well in the longer run. And your baby looks very very cute, congrats on that!

L.

8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Breastfeeding is going well for me, in that Baby Girl loves to eat. Unfortunately, she apparently has wicked gas pains which may be caused by my diet. For two weeks, I have avoided: leafy vegetables, tomatoes, caffeine, chocolate, dairy, citrus, juice, greasy foods, spicy foods . . . flavorful foods. The whole point is that I have taken to eating Cheerios non-stop and have perfected my own pincer grasp. Unfortunately, sometimes I drop them on the baby when we're both feeding, but I brush them away before Daddy notices. I'm starting to think this issue is not diet related. Eli's adorable. Might I suggest to him a Cheerios Whole Grain Blend or a combination of regular and frosted Cheerios--to die for.
--Rita

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOVE Eli, so cute. You look great too. :-) I really want to see you guys!! crawling and eating cheerios?....VERY over-rated. Once those skills are accomplished, anything is possible....falling down steps because they crawl TOO fast, eating little doll shoes because they can, eating little pieces of popcorn/lint/dirt. Again....all way over-rated.

10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love the pic of you and Eli! yes, the economy sucks, but you guys look super cute and happy:)

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home