Thursday, September 23, 2004

Careyoke+bacon=funnies

So I know it's been a while, but I've had blogger's block. I actually have felt like I am running out of karaoke-related things to talk about. I mean I still occasionally (or rather, often) hear songs I think about singing at the next careyoke event, but other than that, I don't have so much to say. Thankfully, however, there was a rather impromptu, bacon-related mini-careyoke night on Tuesday.

For details relating to the bacon, see Jeremy's blog.

For details on careyoke, read on...

So, Jeremy, Dorotha (Louise) and I were heading out for bacon night at Wando's when we thought we'd check out what the Kid looks like when we're not there (and b/c the bacon wasn't available until later). Well, it turns out, when we're not at the Kid, nobody's at the Kid!

Anyway, we had talked about doing bacon-related songs, but it was hard coming up with any. I thought of doing "Footloose" (you know, Kevin Bacon and all), but then blanked on that idea as soon as I got my hands on the books. I had also remembered that "Earl" has the word "ham" in it, but it just doesn't feel right without LL. Plus, I was scared Jeremy would feel the need to play Earl again, and it scared me.

So, instead we decided it should be "experimental careyoke night." This was a time to do all those songs (well, the one or two of them) that we were always too scared to try. I immediately looked up "Informer" by Snow, and couldn't find it. Grrr! I swear they used to have it. Things were getting desperate. We were sitting in the Kid, just the 3 of us + the Kid staff, and somebody had to sing something!

So, finally, I put in "Jeremy" and "Crazy in love." "Jeremy" went quite well. The "hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo..." part was enjoyable and so was yelling like a crazy person. But my "Crazy in love" was hurtin'! Beyonce I am not. I have tried and failed to be her before (someone may remember an ill-fated attempt at "Bootylicious" - b/c I couldn't resist telling everyone that I didn't think they were "ready for this jelly"). Maybe "Survivor" is a fluke. I don't know. But I actually did a Better Jay-Z than Beyonce. And that's just not right.

(Whoops, just published the post by accident. Stupid control-s!)

I managed to make up for it though by singing Scandal's "Warrior" with Dorotha. That is a repeater! And great hand motions!

I stayed up on the stage for our Breakfast Club song with rain-related hand motions "Don't you forget about me." See Jeremy's blog for visuals.

Then, it was Jeremy's turn. He sang, "Wait," by Huffamouse? Wha? I don't know. And neither did Dorotha, who yelled at him that his performance was creepy. Jeremy then proceeded to sing the word "creepy" over and over again to the melody of the song. It seriously was creepy. I am surprised we didn't get kicked out then. They must have really been bored.

I was up next with "Wannabe." Jeremy joined me. He claimed to be Sporty. I said he was Ginger. We both sang like we were all five Spices.

I then sang "Your woman" by White Town. No one knew this song. Weird. I swear it was popular in 1997/8.

Dorotha then sang "Borderline." She was supposed to be waiting for Patrick to sing it, but how long's a girl supposed to wait, huh? It was a very nice performance. My fave parts were the hand movements and the Spanish: "Frontera...feels like I'm going to lose my cabeza!"

Then Dorrie and I went with a little rap tune you may have heard of: "Baby got back." I think she was disturbed at times by how well I knew it. And my dancing. Whatevs!

I finished up the night with another butt-related song: "The thong song." It was nice.

Written in the field notes is: "Why are we not carey[oke]? carey[oke] is a genius. The problem is we're Devo."

Then we went for the bacon...My fave part of the bacon night: Dorotha, posing as an undergrad, interviewed unsuspecting (actual!) undegrads about the bacon. Here is part of the transcript of interview results:
"Why bacon?"
"Why the f___ not?...First, it's hilarious...Second, it's salty."
So, there you have it. Hilarious AND salty.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it obvious to you that "baby got back" and, by association "the thong song," are about bacon? Come on... Chili's Baby Back Ribs... that's pork right? Come on!

4:43 PM  
Blogger jeremy said...

Yeah, I'm confused. I had thought that Careyoke had chosen these last two songs because of the bacon theme. Next she's going to be claiming it was just random that she and Emily chose a song from _The Breakfast Club_.

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home