Sunday, September 19, 2004

Now! By popular demand! Kerry-oke recap!!!

First things first: I must give props to the person who had the "Kerry-oke" idea in the first place…Ms. Belle Reve of Magic Eraser fame! Thanks, Belle! You are the best.

So, the recap isn’t going to be the best this time. There were no fieldnotes, so I just have to work from memory. Furthermore, I was a little stressed as acting dj for the night that I think I missed a lot of good and/or crazy moments. Other guests will tell you that I was very dedicated to my job. I ran from many a conversation just in time to switch to the next song. So, basically, I am saying that this recap will be far from complete. Maybe the other party-goers can help fill in the gaping holes with interesting tidbits. Without further ado here are things as I recall…

I did “Celebration” to start things off. It kept trying to play itself time and time again after that. What was up with that?! It definitely wasn’t the dj’s fault.

At some point soon after that, Rhymes-with-Scrabble and I sang “Gypsies.” People liked our Cher. People always like any Cher that Rhymes-with-Scrabble is involved with.

Soon after that, Emily-who-sits (a non-sociologist) sang something…can’t remember what. But that girl is good! Even while sitting in a chair. And how often does one get to be in some sort of recline-o-matic while karaoke-ing?

Then, I think, Dorotha and Belle sang “Walkin’ after midnight.” A nice country tune.

We had a little more country from a non-sociologist, who sang “Crazy.” He was good, but a one-hit wonder.

Since there was no ABBA, Jessie J and LL graced us with a little Ace of Base. I heart “The Sign.”

Emily-who-sits and LL sang “Black velvet.” LL promises a reprise at the Kid some point.

I think Abby sang “Manic Monday.” I don’t know. I can’t remember.

At some point, I was signed up for “What a feeling.” How I love anything and everything from Flashdance! Thanks, ladies, for choosing that one for me!

LL continued her diva antics with “How will I know.” She said there were a lot more “ooohs” then she remembered. Whitney sure knows her ooh-ing.

Rhymes-with-Scrabble did a couple of her Reba regulars/soon-to-be Reba regulars: “Fancy” and “The night the lights went out in Georgia.” You’ll be hearing “Georgia” at the Kid really soon, I’m sure. Fantastically dramatic.

Mary braved the crowd of sociologists to sing “Born in the USA.” Strangely, we all discovered as we read the words, Reagan wanted this for a campaign song. Huh?

At some point JJ and LL sang “Physical.” Or, rather, JJ sang most of it, and LL joined in on the chorus. Turns out LL doesn’t really know her ONJ like she thought she did. It also turns out LL doesn’t know her Crystal Gayle too well either, as she sang back up for my “Don’t it make my brown eyes blue.”

A couple of the eraser ladies, Belle and Hazel, sang “Me and Bobby McGee.” A careyoke favorite. I sang along when I wasn’t busy cueing up the next song. We sat on the floor. I think my underwear was showing. Stupid low-cut jeans.

Oooh! JJ did one of my fave Carpenters songs (and a favorite moment from the movie Parents?) “Close to you.” Beautiful! I demand a repeat at the Kid.

I sang Nancy Sinatra’s hit “These boots are made for walking.” People liked. Handily enough, I was actually wearing boots. Gwen deemed it best Kerry-oke performance. Gwen is smart. I promise a reprise at the Kid. If I’m wearing boots next time.

At some point Emily-who-sits sang “Killing me softly,” the Roberta Flack version. I clapped too soon – before the song was over. Whoops.

JJ did a FANTABULOUS version of “The greatest love of all,” the song my class had to sing in grade school at every function in which there was every any singing. We DEMAND a reprise. Perhaps Gwen missed this, because it might have kicked “These boots” and my butt.

I closed out the night with “Hit me with your best shot.” It was all I could do to followed up JJ’s Whitney.

My fave moment: one of Mary’s friends complimented my Kerry-oke artistry. She complained about the Madison karaoke scene and said in NYC people do a better job of riling up the audience, etc. She said I’d do well in the NYC scene. Maybe her prediction will be put to the test next year…It looks like Joshie and I might end up in NYC. Good luck with your interview tomorrow, babycakes!

I am sure other songs happened too, but that’s all I got…anybody else?

6 Comments:

Blogger dorotha said...

can i just say that i fricking love Emily-who-sits? i'm saying it. i love her. she needs to come to careyoke with us all of the time. seriously. i'm madly in love with her. love love love love love love love love

but not as much as i love you, careyoke.

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's true that These Boots Were Made for Walking was one seriously awesome karaoke moment.

Alas... while I can sing, I lack the zest that makes karaoke truly an artform. Hazzah Careyoke... Hazzah.

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww... That's so sweet. :) Nice to know my music degree is actually good for SOMETHING.

It was fun, I'd like to do it again sometime!

~Emily-Who-Sits

7:24 PM  
Blogger Belle Reve said...

For whom did I do back up for "Material Girl?"

7:58 AM  
Blogger Belle Reve said...

From one of our hostesses: # of guests* who ran around compulsively cleaning everything and begging to help straighten up before curling up on the floor and going to sleep: 1

*That would be me. But I fooled them, I was only pretending to be asleep so Dorotha could practice her inappropriate touching.

8:07 AM  
Blogger Careyoke said...

OMG, Belle! I can't believe I forgot your incredible back-up singing/dolphin calling during "Material girl." That was we who had to compete with your mad skills. I think you stole the show!

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home