Wednesday, January 25, 2006

I thought I knew you, 80s music.

I'm listening to Pandora and Bananarama comes on. I think, cool, I know Sarah, Siobhan, and Keren's (yes, it's Karen but with an "e") work well. My sister Tina had lots of their stuff. She was a serious 80s pop fiend. Particularly Brit-pop. I remember their album "Deep Sea Skiving" the best. Still not sure I understand what that means. Deap sea playing hookie? And my mom's British and I still don't know. Whatevs. Anyway, Tina and a couple of her friends were even Bananaram one year for Halloween. Except the person who was supposed to be Keren couldn't meet up with them, so Siobah and Sarah (Tina) ended up trick-or-treating with Boy George, Dolly Parton (Rachel, age 11) a pregnant lady (me at age 8).* I am sure we were an awesomely awesome crew. (And that Tina tried to lose me a few times along the way.) But the song on Pandora was something I had never heard of nor would have even imagined existed before. It was called "Robert Deniro's Waiting." And the chorus is "Robert DeNiro's waiting. Talking Italian." Over and over again. But...wha? Weird. Apparently, I missed out on a lot of 80s stuff. Not even hours and hours of watching the various versions of I love the 80s cued me in on that one.


*Dolly Parton and the pregnant lady were actually my mom's ideas for costumes. She was sick of us whining about not knowing what to be for Halloween, so she went down in the basement, grabbed a couple of balls, a wig, a pillow, and two insane dresses and said, You'll be Dolly Parton and you'll be pregnant. I know she thought it was really funny, but pregnant? At 8?

2 Comments:

Blogger Ang said...

I remember Robert DeNiro's Waiting - they performed it once on Solid Gold.

But dude, don't feel bad. I swear that the first time I ever heard Come On Eileen was 1995.

12:14 AM  
Blogger Careyoke said...

R-w-S, I totally have never heard that song! Just add it to the list, I guess.

And thanks, Ang. I guess I'll really just have to be more humble about my 80s knowledge. You might have thought I learned that lesson after spending time with Jessie J, the true queen of the 80s (even though she was a baby during a good part of them!), but apparently not.

8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home