Monday, January 16, 2006

I told my parents.

So Saturday I went home to tell my parents that I had begun the conversion process (sorry, AK, that I didn't exactly advertise the news more broadly! I didn't really want my parents to find out by blog...not that they ever look at my blog or, in the case of my mom, even know how to use the internet). The talk didn't go exactly as I had planned. My sister Rachel was there. I didn't really expect that and she's not so good for serious talks. It made me postpone giving the news until more than an hour of lunching/talking, but I guess it didn't make a huge difference. I said, Rachel's going to want to runaway but... And then she ran away, b/c she knew what I was about to say.

Anyway, it was kind of interesting. It was kind of sad at times, but it was interesting. When I talked about it with Josh later, he made me realize that my parents were more upset that I was rejecting Catholicism than the fact that I was choosing Judaism didn't really seem to matter. It almost seemed like the reaction would have been the same if I were becoming a Methodist or something (or maybe not, I do think there was a bit of worry about the whole hell thing, though they never said that and even though I thought to ask, So do you think I'm going to hell? I thought maybe that wasn't a fun question to ask nor did I really want to know the answer). The first thing my mom even asked was "Why do you hate Catholicim?" Or maybe she wasn't that dramatic, but it was something along those lines. But it really seemed like they were trying to tell me that Catholicism had all of the stuff I liked about Judaism, if only I gave it a chance. But as Josh pointed out, they were about 10 years too late. I mean, there was a day that I came home from church when I was about 18 or 19 and said, I hate it! I can't go anymore! And it was such a whoop and took so much nerve (and a number of failed attempts) to actually say that to them. Apparently, they repressed b/c when I brought it up a few years ago (in discussions about religion related to Josh), they acted surprised that I had totally rejected the Church. Um. Okay. I can't really understand how they didn't get that then, but the conversation in which they realized (again) that they had occurred happened over a year ago, so if they wanted to make their case, they should have done it some time between then and now and probably not when I tell them I'm going to convert to Judaism.

Anyway, really they were great about it. I know they're sad, and my dad even used the word "disappointed" (ouch, I hate to do that to my parents), but their main message was, We want you to be happy and you can't do something that someone else wants you to do. So that was good. There was no disowning. I know for sure b/c my dad said, We're not going to disown you. Phew! I can imagine that they feel kind of like they failed or did something wrong or perhaps that I'm some sort of martian child that was switched with their should-be-a-Catholic-kid since they did all the stuff it seems like you should do to get your kid to be a Catholic (sent me to Catholic school from K to 12 and took me to Church every Sunday from birth until I went off to college and were just really into their religion). But at least that part is over with. They know. I can feel better about going for it. And now I'm making note cards with Jewish/Hebrew terms/blessings/etc. There's a lot of stuff to learn! I'm 29 years behind!

Thanks for the support too. I really do appreciate it. And if you're wondering about conversion presents... ;)



Hebrew name necklace!! Ok, I don't have one yet, but I will. And I'll take suggestions too. How would you like to name me?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh...you should do a blog poll. Just don't pick "Esther." That one's taken.

11:48 PM  
Blogger AK said...

I kind of guessed that was happening, after I commented. Congratulations on making the big decision and telling your family! That took a lot of guts and I'm really happy for you. It must feel good to find a religion that feels right to you.

So... goodbye Jesus? No more New Testament? It's odd: even though I can't say I have faith in the existence of God, I feel strangely attached to Jesus's teachings. Thinking about this is totally making my head spin - I can only imagine what the past few months (years?) have been like for you.

1:30 AM  
Blogger AK said...

Oh and I love the necklace and I am brainstorming names right now... I like Edith...

1:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home