Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Least favorite days of the week

First, thanks for your concern about Joshie. He is doing okay. The worst thing now is his thumb-related paranoia (he seems convinced that it's eventually going to fall off). He should get over that eventually. I hope.

The culprit:


So back to my story...I now hate Tuesdays and Thursdays. Somewhere along the line I have designated them as the days that I work on the hellhole of a paper that was once my thesis and then a PAA presentation and then an ASA presentation and hopefully someday an actual published article. The actual published article part is what I'm working on. And I've been suffering from the most massive of brain farts ever relating to this stupid paper. How can one possibly work on the same thing for now over FIVE YEARS and not be done with it? I don't know. Why don't you ask me? At this point, I am sure you're thinking, Just send the damn thing out. But I can't. I have actually messed it up so much in the past few months that I don't even know what it's about anymore. So, I will putter on. And I will never finish school. Or maybe I will, but I'll never publish anything and no one will ever give me a job. At least not in academia, which is probably fine b/c apparently I'd lose it anyway since I can't even come close to putting together a paper worth publishing. And let me just be clear that there is NOTHING else in the pipeline that could be publishable any time in the foreseeable future. NOTHING. So crap. Or whatever. I don't even know if I care.

Also, apparently, I am losing insane amounts of hair b/c the poor guy who just came to unclog our shower drain just about killed himself plunging in there. (I tried earlier but was unsuccessful. I guess I wasn't trying hard enough.) All he would say afterwards was, "Too much hair. Too much hair." I try to collect all the hair I notice on the wall and then throw it away after my shower, but I guess I need some special drain cover (like my parents have...I wonder why...) to prevent taking a shower with a bathtub half full of water in the near future.

3 Comments:

Blogger AK said...

Remember the good old days when you were working on that paper for the first time and we used to go to ERC on the weekends for hard core studying where the crazy made-up girl who worked there played Richard Marx records?

10:22 AM  
Blogger Gwen said...

If it makes you feel any better, I'm still working on an article based on my thesis, too, and I defended before you did! These things just take FOREVER!

And we had to get one of those drain covers too--4 girls is too many for any one drain to handle. It fixed the problem immediately, though. No more clogs, just nasty collections of hair in the trap.

10:36 AM  
Blogger Careyoke said...

OMG! I could go for some Richard Marx right about now, Abigail! Though it might be more disturbing than the "light classical" tv music channel I have on at the moment. (And oh Lordy about your phone and internet situation. I don't think I could handle anything making this any more painful than it already is!)

Thanks, Gwennie. I think it makes me feel both better and a little worse (but only b/c I am a wee bit of a pessimist. Who, me?) BTW, where'd you get your drain cover? Is that the kind of thing they have in drug stores?

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home