Friday, December 09, 2005

Winter wonderland

It snowed this morning, and it is cracking me up. B/c of the snow, this morning all of the national morning "news" shows (Today, GMA, etc) were pre-empted by local weather/traffic coverage. For HOURS. And it was only TWO INCHES of snow. And it had stopped by definitely 8am. More like 7:30. On the way to the gym, I tromped through the stuff, feeling cocky b/c of 6 winters in Wisconsin. Then, I tried jumping over a pile of slush and an intersection and came *this close* to doing a split. Ouch! A jumper I am not. And a splitter I DEFINITELY am not. I just never really got those Sconnie sc(k)illz. (At least I am not as bad as ex-roomie Elizabeth who would shuffle all the way to school in the snow while kids in flip flops flew past us.) The gym was kind of empty today so in addition to earning 2 (WW) points on the elliptical trainer, I had the satisfaction of feeling more hard core than most. On the way back from the gym, I saw a little girl making a snowman on the sidewalk. (Philly schools were all closed b/c of the TWO INCHES of snow!) It felt very city. I am not sure where I can say the nearest pile of grass would be...at least 7-8 blocks from where she was. I guess it doesn't really matter when everything's covered in snow.

What this all made me think was that apparently living in Wisconsin can make a person snobby. It makes one a snow/cold snob. So for all of you Sconnies feeling like the East Coasters are looking down their noses at you...snob them right back!

4 Comments:

Blogger Ang said...

That's hilarious!

4:07 PM  
Blogger Gwen said...

Oh, totally! Last week it was 25 degrees and I wore a skirt to class because it's only a 2-block walk from my house to campus and it just didn't feel all that cold. I felt really superior to all the people all bundled up in ugly winter clothes.

On the other hand, I felt a lot less hardcore when my roommate got bundled up at 7am on Saturday to go snowboarding. It was 6 degrees.

4:15 PM  
Blogger Careyoke said...

Wow, RWS! That's awesome! I'm still WW-ing it, but not so successfully. I'm about maintenance lately...especially with the holiday binge-fest (past, present, and future). I've actually been surprised at my success at staying about the same weight.

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just got back from Texas where there was a MAJOR freak-out about the wintery weather there. I flew into Dallas on Thursday, and my sister called me that morning to tell me that she had a snow day and all the schools were shut down and so was her office. When I got into Dallas that evening, there was NO SNOW on the ground. Sure, it was unusually cold for Texas, but not a lick of snow. I did, however, see one puddle on the ground with little bits of ice in it. Also, it got up to 60 degrees the next day. Remind me to move back to Texas.
-JJ

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home