Monday, November 28, 2005

I hate-a data*

For my diss, I'm supposed to be using two data sets. I got the publicly available NELS from the NCES folks a while back and just assumed (and you know what that does) that they'd have info on where people are from (as in countries). But they don't. Now maybe this is not the biggest whoop ever. I have some ways of identifying where people are from (in a messier way) that may work out just fine (I would probably have had to collapse categories in a way that would maybe end up similarly to what I can identify in the publicly available data). But of course I didn't realize that before spazzing out and almost making myself puke over it. Especially b/c I tried to figure out how to get access to the restricted use data (where this info is probably available) and it's so fricking hard to get the daggone data it's not even funny. A grad student can't get it for herself. It has to be a prof at a university. And then you can only use the data "on site." So I'm not "on site" anywhere but my own apt, really. And even though it's like a fortress to get in here (2 locked doors (deadbolt and handle lock), down a spooky alley way and then 2 locked doors in one way and 2 locked gates plus same spooky alley and 2 locked doors in another way), it would never pass security measures for this stinking data. And, again, I'm not a prof. And I'm not in Wisconsin enough to use it there and even though I have some sort of access to Penn, I don't have access really to any computers (particularly not ones locked up in some kind of secured site). And anyway, I'm moving next year. So would I have to do all of that all over again? So, what's a dissertator to do? Think about puking/dropping out/using different data? All of the above. Well, I think I may be able to get by with the NELS public use data. We'll see what G-dog says. But LORD! I know we should protect the people who participate in these data collections, but does it have to be THIS hard?

*Also, I'm not very funny. Or clever.

5 Comments:

Blogger jeremy said...

I'm confused. Why do you need country data? Are there NELS respondents not in the US?

I had access to the private NELS data at Indiana. Many of the private variables are seemingly totally innocuous things, but they could conceivably allow you to identify the school.

5:25 PM  
Blogger Careyoke said...

I want to know where people are from. Country of origin. I can use racial/ethnic category instead, but it's not as fine a measure. Granted, I'd have to collapse those categories anyway, but I'd like to be the one making the decision on how to do that. But. Well. Nevermind.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Careyoke said...

Wait. Maybe that still didn't make sense. I'm looking at immigrants and children of immigrants. So they are in the US, but their countries of origin are (rather recently) somewhere else.

9:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, the NELS people are sort of crazy about security stuff. They even send somebody out to your site, where ever that may be, to make sure you're meeting all security requirements. When I used the NSFG I needed geographic info, and you had to apply for access, but basically, you could write up a SAS program, send it to the NSFG people, and they would run the program for you (so you never actually had your hands on the restricted data) and send you the results. Maybe NELS has something like that as well??
JJ

P.S. I miss you!!

11:55 AM  
Blogger Constance said...

Sheesh! I would have sounded MUCH more annoyed and freaked out. You must be doing well!

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home