Thursday, November 03, 2005

Klerk karaoke

I feel a little bit like I cheated on my Mad-town crew. But you have cheated on me too! It's not even really cheating anymore now that we are so far apart. Sniff.

Anyway, last night was a happy hour + karaoke outing for the whatever-district-they-are law clerks. I am sure I should know. But whatever. I was a little apprehensive at first, but then I learned that Josh had bragged to people about my abilities (or at least had mentioned to them that I have a blog supposedly devoted to karaoke. Oh Lord. I am a dork. Yes, Dorotha! I am!). So then I had to get pumped up for my performance. Let me tell you: Philly karaoke is different from Madison karaoke. Or definitely Karaoke Kid karaoke. People were more serious in Philly. I was told people could get booed. Apparently, no one had ever heard of Rule 2 (I can't find the post that actually first calls it "Rule 2" but for explanation see here).

But there really wasn't any booing that I recall. The big difference I noticed was that people seemed to serious about it. Maybe it's just that Sconnie sociology karaoke is all about the funny. I don't know. But there were a lot of good singers last night, but not that many stellar performances.

There are exceptions of course! The best moment of the night was Peter doing Kiss by Prince. He ROCKED IT OUT! I mean it was a guy in a suit just going for the falsetto and dancing a little James Brown-ishly. And it was awesomely awesome. Soon after that, Josh and I did "Total eclipse." We got a good response. So good that this random woman named Leigh who was in town from South Carolina came up to me and asked me to do a song with her (Let's give 'em something to talk about by Bonnie Raitt). You know I said yes! (It cracked me up when we were singing b/c she told me "Don't sing the 'love' part okay b/c I do it different every time." I was like, Um. Ok. Sure. And she was right.)

Also awesomely awesome was Alexis doing "Midnight train to Georgia." I think Katie, Joshie and I were pretty good Pips for her! We even had coordinated (sort of) dance moves! There was some older guy who kind of looked like Neil Diamond (I wanted to put him in a sparkly shirt and make him sing "America" or, better yet, "Heartlight"!) who was pretty awesome. Except then he sang, Save a horse ride a cowboy. Ick. But the crowd liked it. Ummm...what am I forgetting? A couple of clerk women (I think?) did "It's raining men." Love it. Ummm...OMG! Then there was this guy who I swear said he was Luther Vandross's cousin and DAMN he could SING! Jeesh! He was incredible. It was out of control (also, his double breasted mustard-colored almost lame-ish (pronounced lah-may, spelled I don't know how) suit was out of control). He did "Superstar" by the Carpenters but it wasn't the Carpenter's version. It was like what Ruben Studdard sang in American idol or something. Sadly, though, he didn't get that fantastic of a response. Maybe he was just too good for a beer-soaked crowd in an alley dive bar. Oh and Joshie, of course, was awesomely awesome with his Elvis! People were SO IMPRESSED with him. Art, the guy in town from Texas, kept ranting about him to me. Speaking of Art...he did Cameo's "Word up." Hilariously awesome song choice, but Jenna definitely did it better at the Kid! Ummm...can't think of much else...Some woman sang "Sweet child o' mine" as we were leaving. Grrr! That's MY song. Whatever. She was WAY hotter than me so I am glad I didn't have to compete with her!

Hmm, what am I forgetting? Anyone out there have anything to add?

3 Comments:

Blogger Gwen said...

Oooh, are there any cute boys who work with Joshie? Are you keeping your eye out for when I come visit?

11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so you're saying long distance relationships don't work?

there's no way that the woman who sang sweet child o mine was hotter than you.

-tlb

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with tlb. Not only are you smokin, but you bring the sweet Axl moves too.

Oooohhh...I haven't done "Superstar" in a long time. It's a great sing-along song (at least the Carpenter's version is), but I don't think people really grasped that last time I sang it.
-JJ

3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home