Friday, October 14, 2005

I hate flying

Actually, I dislike most forms of transportation that aren't walking. (In fact, I have been quite afraid of car travel lately. I don't trust anyone on the road. I am turning into my mother, who believes that only she knows how to drive well. But her driving scares me most of all.) But I am freaked about flying in a way that's just really not proportional to the danger. (Oh Lord, I just wrote "proportional." I've been a little anti-sociology (anti-school?) lately so it's weird to see it come out of me.) Or that's what people keep trying to tell me. But in addition to a fear of falling out of the sky to a fiery death, I also cannot stand the waiting, the boredom, the plane-stink, the cramped-ness, the gross blue water in the toilets, the weird interactions I have with people sitting next to me, etc. My flight this morning was already cancelled so I have a 12 hour delay or sorts. At least they told me last night so I didn't have to get up at 4am to sit in the airport for 12+ hours. Instead, I get to sit here and do work. See, look at all the work I'm doing! Anyway, I'd attribute the early info on the cancellation to the cuteness of Midwest Express. It does feel a little more loving than most airlines. I mean, they give you chocolate chip cookies. Look how much they like us flyers! Anyway, I will try to calm my nerves. Maybe with deep breathing. Maybe with booze. Maybe I should start that a little closer to my flight time (7:55pm) rather than at 9:45 in the morning. Can you take a flask through security these days?

6 Comments:

Blogger Gwen said...

Flying is horrible. It's boring and there are so many lines and I'm ALWAYS stuck next to some obnoxious person on the plane who either wants to talk a lot about totally boring stuff or who falls asleep and ends up drooling on me.

So I feel you.

And aren't you TOTALLY GLAD I made you start blogging again?????

9:43 AM  
Blogger Careyoke said...

Yes! Of course you were right!!It's like writing emails to...I almost said 20 people...but really it's more like 3 or 4 people simultaneously. But that's cool too! And you are the queen of blogging responsiveness, so, really, it's like emailing you, which is, of course, awesomely awesome!

10:53 AM  
Blogger Gwen said...

Has "awesomely awesome" become your phrase of choice?

12:01 PM  
Blogger Ang said...

I hate flying, too. I never get sick - have an immune system like a steel trap (or whatever) - but every time I fly, I get sick.

Still, won't it be worth it? :)

1:08 PM  
Blogger Careyoke said...

Oh, Ang! You are correct! I'm v. excited to visit and hope my visit doesn't get cut any shorter b/c of more flight issues.

And, G, love the awesomely awesome. I think it was a Jeremy or maybe Dorotha original. Either way, can't stop using it.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Constance said...

I have found that a tiny bottle of wine costs about as much as a glass at a bar and is probably a more generous portion. It's delightful.

1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home