Monday, October 10, 2005

Am I regressing or did I just never grow up?

I know I'm almost 30, but sometimes I think that I'm about as mature as an 8 year old. At best. The other day Josh and I were playing Parcheesi. He is rather game-obsessed while I'm sort of anti-game. I don't know if you know the rules of this "Royal Game of India" (that's how it's billed on the box), but you can use two of your pieces to block other players from passing you. Josh did this to me for part of the game (I'd done it to him during our previous game). I, however, didn't just take it for what it was (a game) and sit patiently and wait for him to get bored with blocking me or until he had to move one of his pieces. No, I basically threw a tantrum. He actually got to the point that was going to move one of his pieces to get me to stop tantrum-ing. I realized I was being a spazzy baby and begged him not to and then behaved better for the rest of the game. But it was so embarrassing! I know I'm competitive, but I haven't seemed to have matured beyond the days (around 7 to 8 years of age) when I used to throw down my field hockey stick and cry (or sometimes I'd hit people on the butt with my stick - butt obsession began early, of course) if I lost the ball. And then Josh suggested maybe that's why I don't like games. And I realized, he's right. I prefer to hide this ridiculous, flawed part of my personality from people by avoiding games entirely. But now he knows. And so do you! And thankfully he's stuck with me! And so are you!

Also, today, we went to the Franklin Institute (awesomely awesome museum here in Philly) and after about 4 hours, I got tired and cranky and though I didn't throw a tantrum, I was plenty annoying. Do I think I am going to have kids someday? How will they possibly be able to put up with me? How will I put up with them if they're as annoying as I can be?

2 Comments:

Blogger AK said...

This is so cute. I can sympathize - I too tend to throw childish hissy-fits over next-to-nothing and then regret it later. Don't be so hard on yourself. You can act like a baby around Josh because he loves you unconditionally. But if you don't want him to make fun of you for it someday (Nathan sometimes teases me for being a baby and I hate it!) you just might want to keep the tantrums down to a minimum.

I'm so glad you're blogging! I wish I was going to be in Madison for your visit.

11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carey-pookers,

Don't be sad about the Parcheesi or the Franklin Institute! We both can be cranky sometimes, and it's sort of our jobs to deal with each other during those times. Plus, I think it's pretty frickin' cute when you throw a little tantrum once in a while (I even like making fun of you for it, though I feel bad about that). Anyway, I love you, and you have to put up with me when I'm unhappy, so it makes me feel good to be able to return the favor.

Joshie

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home