Tuesday, October 25, 2005

I feel like I might barf a little

Last night, Joshie and I finished viewing Peter Jackson's Heavenly Creatures. I knew Peter Jackson was rather in to the macabre, but this moving is haunting me worse than the hours of horror crap I had on in the background yesterday, including Arachnaphobia (actually, that really creeped me out too, and I'm convinced the new bump on my leg is actually a brown recluse spider bite and will do me in any minute now...), Tremors (dumb, but I liked Kevin Bacon's long hair, and the dad from Family Ties as a gun crazed/bomb shelter guy - and married to Reba, who, I am sorry, is great, though I do not watch her tv show - was a fine casting choice), Tales from the Crypt's Demon Knight (with Jada before-she-was-Pinkett-Smith Pinkett, and Billy Has-he-ever-been-a-good-guy? Zane), which was pretty craptastic, and Pet Sematary 2 (also craptastic) with Edward Furlong (which made me yearn for Pecker) and Anthony Edwards (which got me in the mood for a little classic ER, as well as cool ranch Doritos, pizza, and Mike's Hard Lemonade).

Anyway, do you know the story of Heavenly Creatures? It's based on a true story in New Zealand where two girls (about 14-15) who were insanely intense friends were going to be parted from one another (one friend was moving to South Africa or something). Of course, it's a little more complex than this, but this is an uber-summary. Anyway, they thought it'd help (they'd be able to be together) if they killed one of their mothers. And for some reason, they thought it would look like an accident if they beat her to death with a brick in a pair of pantyhose. OMG! Ewww!! And you know Peter Jackson just isn't going to let us deal with that in our own heads and make it seem easier than it really was. No. So I am watching and the woman playing the mother is wailing away after the first hit and the second and the third and fourth and then the daughter passes the brick-hose on to the other friend and so on...and it is GROSS, GROSS, GROSS! I want to hork! And now I can't get it out of my head! Can you get it out of yours? EWWW!!!

Blech! As a follow-up, they both (the friends) ended up getting convicted but neither spent more than about 5 yrs in jail, but I suppose the worst punishment for them was that a condition of their release was that they were never allowed to see each other again. The End.

But ewwww!! So I am hoping that another day's worth of horror crap will help desensitize me to that or something. Eww. Probably not. Blech again.

UPDATE: I think I found something to freak me out even more: Curse of the Puppet Master. Eww! Puppets!!! Creeeeeeepy!

6 Comments:

Blogger Gwen said...

I saw "Heavenly Creatures" many years ago, and it haunted me for WEEKS. That scene was so disturbing, and just the cold, calculating nature of the two girls...I was really freaked out. I still think of it every once in a while today. So you'll never really get over seeing that movie.

But at least I didn't watch a movie about creepy puppets.

10:12 AM  
Blogger dorotha said...

heavenly creatures is one of my favorite movies. in my early years of college, people would tell me that i was like the dark-haired girl of the pair, and i didn't really mind.

i would never kill my mother, tho. she is the awesomest.

1:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that the movie w/Kate Winslet? Cuz if it is, I've kind of wanted to see it. But now that you've told me about it, I'm not sure I want to see it anymore. If that movie bugs you, don't ever watch "Frailty" with Bill Paxton and Matthew McConnaughey.
-JJ

2:19 PM  
Blogger dorotha said...

heavenly creatures is awesome! i love that movie!!!! watch it, JJ. it is soooo good.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Constance said...

Um, Carey. How ya doing over there? Is everything okay? Is there a reason you're submitting yourself to these movies? Can I help?

12:44 PM  
Blogger Careyoke said...

It's seasonal. I like to be scared around Halloween. At least during the day.

1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home