Thursday, June 01, 2006

Mistakes are made

First, I think I've been using the wrong NELS data for the past however many months. More than I care to think about. I just ordered the correct data. Maybe it doesn't matter. I just ordered a later version than I should have. I imagine the var names are the same. And in the end, I am always using the wrong data until I am in Madison where I can use the restricted data. I was just spazzing out over missings, etc., and I might not have to do that so much with the almost right data. Whatever. I am putting that on hold for now. So I decided to work on my other data set...

Um, why is it that when I compare a distribution of information printed in a book, it is not the same as the information I get from the data myself (that the authors in fact collected and used themselves)? Did that make sense? What I mean is this:

Their distribution:
Category 1: 2507 cases
Category 2: 1426
Category 3: 1329
missings: 0

My distribution using their data:
Category 1: 2420 cases
Category 2: 1387
Category 3: 1453
missings: 2

What? That seems like kind of a whoop to me. I am trying to sleuth it out of the rest of their book (and everyone else's work using this data). Weird! I feel like I have just detected some big scam, but maybe I am overly dramatic. Maybe. Though now I should watch my back just in case I'm getting too close to the truth...

2 Comments:

Blogger jeremy said...

My guess is that something else was done to the variable that you think is the variable being reported as the distribution.

1:46 AM  
Blogger Careyoke said...

Well, I am definitely jumping on your bandwagon about full disclosure of all data/programs. At first, I wasn't sure, but that's b/c my programs are so embarrassingly bad (or, they work, but a monkey could probably do better), that I didn't want anyone to ever see them. But now I'm right with you, b/c of this weird discrepancy (and I can't imagine what other info they used to get the distribution they got, and, of course, they don't say anything about it or missing information at all in their book). Grrr.

7:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home