Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Somebody throw me a bone. Please.

So I've been working on revising my paper to submit to a different journal. But I've been doing it wrong. Somehow, when I tried to look up the info about submission, I found this weirdo looking website (with kiddie comic sans font or whatevs) that said the whole dealio needed to be 30 pages or less (including tables, footnotes, etc). Mine was exactly that but I just wanted to tweak a few things and I thought I would be ready to send. Things seemed to be going well until...

Well, I was perusing the website, looking for some more info just to be sure and discovered I had been looking at some weirdo old version of the website. I found the new version and apparently the whole paper is supposed to be TWENTY-FIVE (25) pages or less. Um. Ok. That's kind of a lot different from what I have. It also says to use 10 CPI font. I looked up what that meant and found it means 10 characters-per-inch. Great, but what the hell kind of font is that in Word? Totally clueless and google isn't helping me. And do you think that the 25 page count includes my title page? If not, I got 29 pages to cut down instead of 30, which would be a nice thing. Or a slighter nicer thing.

And all of this has me (yet again) thinking: why am I doing this? I don't even really care. There is NO WAY I'm going to get an academic job. This paper is just going to be rejected again. Gary will have me sending it to a high school newspaper before too long. And even they won't want it. And from the looks of things, I don't have a lot of hope for a non-academic job lately. My recent online job searches have basically come up with crap. Crap. I just feel like I suck at EVERYTHING lately. I can't do anything. I can't even be a good homemaker. You should see the pigsty-ness of out apt. Ok, you shouldn't. It's not pretty. But JEESH!!! I am just so mad and sad simultaneously. And I know I should just get over myself. My life's not so bad at all. It's really actually great except for this "career" (or lack thereof) crap.

And I so wanted to post a nice post with pictures about my weekend DC visit and the cute babies I hung out with. Maybe later.

Update: Actually make that "what's 10 cpi font in WordPerfect?" since that's what my printer (Joshie) has access to.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, I feel that way all of the time and you're twice the woman I'll ever be. Even if you really sucked at all of those things (which, duh, you don't) you are still one of the sweetest and kindest people I know.

-Greg

1:50 PM  
Blogger Careyoke said...

No, YOU are sweet! Thanks, Greggie!

3:54 PM  
Blogger jeremy said...

10 cpi is also known as "pica" I believe, and 12 cpi is "elite". This is based on very dim memory since they are, after all, typewriter standards. Anyway, I'm not sure what journal it is that it is doing things this way rather than with a word count. I would consult with your advisor as to whether you should just send it in over length.

7:06 PM  
Blogger jeremy said...

Oh, and here, a bone. Catch.

7:07 PM  
Blogger AK said...

Oh Carey sweetie, you are in a shame spiral!!! Get out! Do not start compounding your frustration with your article with all your other self-doubts. You are going to get a great job, eventually. It never looks like there are any possibilities but something good will appear, I'm sure of it. But that should not be your worry right now. And, let's face it, does it really matter if you aren't Martha Stewart these days? Just focus on the tasks at hand: the dissertation and the article. And enjoying life a little!

Jeremy is right about the possibility of sending in the manuscript despite the length. I did that recently and all I had to do was first email the editor to ask if it was okay. I can't remember exactly how I put it - I think I had my advisor talk to the editor first, or something. He said if the reviewers like it, I will have to cut it down later, but that it was okay to send it as is. Oh and then he made me revise and shorten the introduction before he sent it to reviewers. It was nice to be able to do that because if they reject it at least I won't have wasted days trying to shorten a paper just for that journal's standards.

You are way better at everything than you think you are. Just take things one step at a time.

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home