Monday, February 27, 2006

Owwwwwwww!

So, as you may be aware, I've been quite gym-y lately. Part of it has been just to get out of the house and interact ever so slightly with the outside world. Part of it, of course, has been health and weight related. I thought I was doing a good job. I have been doing the elliptical/walking on the treadmill (these legs DO NOT run!) 3 times a week and lifting (just upper body stuff) twice a week. I decided my legs were getting enough from the cardio and that my abs just didn't exist in all of this. I could see my arm and chest muscles getting bigger (and even a little scary - especially if I could remove all the flab that was trying to hide them) and was impressed with that. And then...for some ungodly reason...I thought it might be a good idea to have a few sessions with a trainer just to make sure I knew what I was doing, etc. So I asked Dan, a trainer at the gym, about his rates, etc., for Josh and me together. He was uber-reasonable and was always the friendliest person to me at the gym, so I thought cool.

Dan the trainer:



Josh and I met him yesterday for a trial session. We did chest and triceps. Holy crap. Owwww! That man just about killed us! We did about...5 different chest exercises and 3 separate triceps exercises. Um...I didn't realize there was that much chest to work. But apparently there is. I can feel parts of my chest I didn't realize were there. And I thought I was working hard(ish) on my own, but apparently not. Or at least this man has the capacity to kill me in a way that I'd never be able to do to myself (and I'd never be able to get Josh to do even a quarter of what Dan can get him to do. And Josh is even chipper around Dan at the gym...Josh has NEVER been chipper at the gym before! Especially not early in the morning!) So today, if I were to find myself lying face down on the floor, which actually sounds rather tempting, I'm not sure how I'd get up. It's even worse now that we went again today (at 6:30 am!) and did legs. Owwww! He had me do some insane-o inner thigh stuff and a machine called "the butt blaster" which almost made me puke/cry, plus squats, leg presses, etc. I could barely make it up the steps to get out of the weight room. I thought, I'm stuck here forever! And then making it down the couple of steps out of the building was even worse. My jelly legs almost gave out. I clung to the railing for dear life. And then Josh and I hobbled home more slowly than we'd ever gone before.

So now I am sitting at my computer feeling my inner thighs way more than I've ever felt them before and noticing which arm muscles actually help with typing. Owwww. We're going to be doing this 3 times a week for I'm not sure how long. But I can't imagine how people exist if they are this sore every day of their lives. And yet I am kind of loving it and finding Dan and his training ways incredibly addictive. Josh agrees. Can't you just see Josh and me all buff and oiled up in a few years in a competition? No? YES!!! Okay, no. But hopefully it will get easier to walk home from the gym after a session like today...eventually.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! I second Careyoke's words completely. I'm barely able to get out from behind my desk today, I'm so sore. And worse, I feel weak. But at the same time, incredibly optimistic about my future ability to feel healthy and not wear a sweatshirt to the beach.

- Joshie

10:57 AM  
Blogger Ang said...

That's hilarious and cute.

You'll totally notice your body changing *fast* now. You'll amaze yourself. Great job, you guys!

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home