Thursday, February 16, 2006

When I grow up, I want to be a...

chef. At least that's what I want to do this week. And I want my own cooking show. It'll be mostly vegetarian and also kosher (I'll have to actually pay attention to the whole cheese with rennet issue that I generally don't think about) but occasionally I might feel like fish. Probably only rarely b/c I don't like the slimeyness factor (which is why I don't actually cook meat even though if someone else cooks it, I'll eat it. I'm a barbarian and a wimp simultaneously, I know). Also I will cook in a small space, like my current closet of a kitchen and on a budget. Like real people in their actual crappy kitchens. And I will build an empire bigger than Rachael Ray's and be less annoying in the process! I know some people love her (Joshie), but she just gets on my last nerve - even if she has an occasional good idea for a recipe.

I know what you're thinking. Ok, not really, but I'll make a few guesses. For example, Yeah, good luck with that, might be something you've got in mind. Or maybe: I've eaten some of your cooking, and I was not impressed. There's also: Don't you have a different idea just about every time I talk to you? Yes. You're right. Last week it was personal shopping. I still think I'd be good at that. Actually, if there were only grad school for personal shopping, I'd be the superstar on the job market, I swear! And there was (still is) the muffin/baked goods and cute accessory store idea. And of course before that, I wanted to become a rabbi. That was before I even decided I was definitely converting. I know. Derrr/doy/duh! And also, it's like getting another PhD (or rather, a first PhD) to become a rabbi so that is NOT happening. But at least I can dream.

When I was younger, I used to fantasize about my crush-of-the-moment every night as I was trying to drift off to sleep. I know. Kind of disturbing about how boy-oriented I always was. Anyway, now it's job-related dreaming. Tonight, I think I'll go with the chef fantasy but maybe make it at a B&B. That's a good one...

3 Comments:

Blogger Gwen said...

Can I be a vegetarian kosher chef with you? I've totally been collecting some vegetarian versions of Jewish comfort food, and it's scrumptious! I would like to specialize in soups, breads, and desserts, I think. It would be fantastic! And we could give out complimentary fashion advice as a bonus!

4:44 PM  
Blogger Careyoke said...

Yes! And good idea with the complimentary fashion advice. And ooh, tell me about your veggie Jewish comfort foods! I'm glad you'll be doing breads, b/c I don't have the patience for that. And I haven't done much with desserts lately either, though I know a few good ones. I am all about anything I can do with a can of beans and different kinds of grains. Though I've almost been experimenting with canned pumpkin lately...it's so much easier to deal with than a frickin' winter squash and similar in taste. My first effort, pumpkin lasagna, was a little bland, but I'll keep working on it. But tonight's experiment: couscous with chickpeas, tomatoes, edamame, and feta. Of course, that's an actual recipe with only a few of my own slight variations planned. Is this the longest comment ever?

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

will you please be my personal shopper and solve my fashion crisis? i want to go on "what not to wear." if you won't be my personal shopper, will you nominate me?
-ak

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home