Thursday, January 26, 2006

New York, New York!

I think I've mentioned previously somewhere that Josh and I are taking my parents to see Spamalot. And the weekend is just about upon us...Josh and I bought the tix last spring/summer when we were high on life and for some insane reason thought my parents might enjoy a little Monty Python-inspired fun and frivolity in NYC. But then when we told my parents (my mom in particular) it was all dread and doom. And Josh and I thought, What have we done?! And both my sisters and their husbands were like, What were you thinking?! Neither my mom or dad has been in NY in about 40 years. Seriously. And my mom can barely handle Philly. In fact, she has been here to visit twice (both times since I moved) even though she and my dad have lived 45 minutes away from the city for 40+ years. Maybe, just maybe I am slightly exaggerate-y. I guess I don't know much about their lives before I was born, but during my lifetime...not a lot of time was spent in Philly.

So just the logistics of how we get to NY have been ridiculous. After much discussion, we're actually going to spend the night Fri and Sat in a hotel in Trenton. Yes, Trenton. Whatever makes the parents happy. And means my mom might not have to get up quite as early.

So last night, we were tying up lose ends/making final plans, and I asked my mom, "So, are you okay? Are you nervous?"
She said, "What? What are you talking about?"
"Oh, I thought you were overwhelmed about going to NY, all the people, etc."
"What?" she responded. "I've been to NY before."
"Um. Okay."

So now the only things to worry about are what to wear (for me! Oh, and I have to dress Josh too) and figure out if I have a purse big enough to carry my mom's "sit-upon"* (which is featured prominently in my wedding video during my parents' announced entrance to the reception) or else she'll carry it in a Strawbridge's (Hecht's/Foley's to other parts of the world, soon to be Macy's, I guess) carrier bag, which is classier than a plastic bag, she tells me. Yes, it is. But I think I might just have the perfect purse for it!

*That's what my mom calls her seat cushion that she carries everywhere with her b/c of hip/butt soreness. It's one of those donut-y ones. She jazzed it up by covering it with pretty fabric (very handy mother!). Actually, it's usually my dad's job to carry the thing around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home