Thursday, June 29, 2006

Official conversion date

Yesterday I met with the rabbi. Yes, he forgot about my assignment. No, I didn't remind him. I did complete it, but it was crappy and I was too embarrassed to share it. So I'm glad he forgot. Anyway, it's supposed to be my last meeting with him b/c...we actually set a date for my conversion! July 12th. Just 2 weeks away. Whoa! Sadly, Josh will not be able to come with me. It's up in Bucks County (a ways from Philly) and he's in trial and can't get off work during trial. I think I'm going to ask his mom if she'll come with me (she works at a school so has off in the summer). It would be weird to do it all alone.

Now I need to tell my parents. Again. I mean, I told them, but they don't know when it's happening. And now my dad is in Nebraska visiting family for the next 3 weeks, and my mom is at home so it requires 2 unpleasant phone calls instead of just one big one. Oh well, I can deal. I guess I could ask my mom if she wants to come along, but I don't imagine she'll be really keen on that idea.

So do you want to know my Hebrew name? It's not Esther! It's Eliana. It's not biblical, it's just a name that I think sounds nice and like the meaning of. It means "God has answered me." I tried to find a picture of it in Hebrew (it is very pretty and will look FABU on the necklace that I am sure Josh is ordering for me at this exact moment...or not), but the one website that has it won't let me save the image. Whatevs. Believe me, it's pretty.

So just a beit din (think Jewish master's defense with a committee of 3 rabbis) and dunk in the mikveh and I'm official!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the name! Congratulations!

6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home