Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Diaper advice

Ok, my friends. I know you are all pretty hippy and are likely to have similarly-minded friends so someone out there has to be able to help! Do you know people who have or have you ever yourself used cloth diapers? That's the plan for us (but not a diaper service), but I have no idea which diapers to choose. There are quite a few out there. Some are way cheap (and require pins and stuff). Others are way expensive (though still cheaper than disposables over the long run, I imagine) but are basically everything you need in one diaper (no pins, no outer diaper cover). Others are mostly everything you need in one plus inserts to deal with your baby's differing levels of pee. Does anyone out there have any advice for me/know anyone with any recent cloth diapering experience? (My parents used cloth diapers, but, thank God, diapers have come a LONG way since then. And, even so, my mom only liked the ones she got in England. I don't think shipping cloth diapers from England is exactly what we had in mind when we decided cloth diapers were the more environmental and cost-effective way to go.)

I am also interested to hear any other baby-related product advice. So far I have heard that the extra cost of the Baby Bjorn is worth is vs. other baby carriers, otherwise, I got nothing. I have my Consumer Reports book, but it's not always that fantastically helpful. And I am bad at making decisions. Someone tell me what to do! (I will be a fantastic parent, don't you think?)

5 Comments:

Blogger AK said...

Before you buy any baby stuff, go out and get the Baby Bargains book. It is excellent! I constructed my registry based on their advice about cribs, car seats, etc. They combine Consumer Reports data with reports from ordinary parents, and they are equally attuned to safety and economy.

As for cloth diapers, we are probably going to go with Bummis. You can buy a package that contains three dozen diapers plus six diaper covers, and it's only about $150. Once the baby is bigger, of course, you have to buy the next bigger size. The best thing is - no pins!! You tuck the cloth diaper into the cover, and then the cover velcros together - much like the sticky flaps on a disposable diaper. I haven't used them myself, but they seem to be a favorite these days. The only thing I am concerned about is that I've heard the waterproof covers are not quite waterproof enough to be nighttime covers. So perhaps we will need to get some other kind of cover in addition to the Bummis. (But not those horrible rubber pants of our own babyhoods!)

3:53 PM  
Blogger AK said...

Oh, and for a baby carrier, the Ergo is supposed to be even better (more versatile and more comfortable) than the Baby Bjorn. About $100 though.

9:03 PM  
Blogger Careyoke said...

Thanks, Abigail! We will definitely get that book (we used Bridal Bargains for our wedding, so we're familiar with the brand).

8:32 AM  
Blogger Constance said...

I can't believe you're talking about diapers! Eeeee!

5:10 AM  
Blogger Gwen said...

MORE. BELLY. PICTURES!!!!!

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home