Thursday, May 22, 2008

Not sure I can take breastfeeding anymore

So, I've had breastfeeding problems from the beginning. I've seen various lactation consultants, talked to the pediatrician multiple times, and yet still, it sucks. It has sucked for different reasons over the past (almost) six weeks. The latest (and this has been happening for the last few weeks) is that the kid eats on one boob and then screams his head off. Sometimes he screams at the end of the first boob. Other times he screams if I try to reintroduce the first boob or introduce the second boob. Either way, every single feeding session is incredibly unpleasant. The pediatrician said he has reflux. We have him on some medicine that is kind of a pain to give to him - b/c of the cutting the pill into quarters/dispensing it correctly from the stupid syringe thing (he actually seems to like the taste once we give it to him). Anyway, he's only been on it for a couple of days, and it's supposed to take two weeks to reach full effect. So far I am noticing NOTHING. No improvement whatsoever. And it sucks so bad that, every time I feed this kid, he screams and screams at some point like I am hurting him/there is nothing more in the world that he hates than my boobs. I just don't get it. I thought breastfeeding was supposed to (at least at some point) be a beautiful experience. It has just been torture. But I can't give up now b/c what if that stupid medicine actually works? That would be a fricking miracle.

4 Comments:

Blogger Constance said...

I have nothing helpful to say. Except that breastfeeding has always scared me more than childbirth. It's the stories about chapping, cracking, and bleeding. I haven't heard any of those from you so far!!! :)

2:38 PM  
Blogger Ang said...

Oh man, I'm sorry. I've never breastfed so I don't have any good advice, but I will say this: from what I've seen in my life, people can usually take their "beautiful experiences" and shove them.

3:07 PM  
Blogger AK said...

Breastfeeding is not a beautiful experience for me, either. It has been going a bit better than the experience you describe, but I still find myself dreading every feeding. Even with what seems to be a correct latch, it really hurts my nipples (cracking, chapping, bleeding - though lanolin and gel pads have both helped immensely), and Aldo never seems to be satisfied. He regularly cries after he nurses, and I'm pretty sure in our case it is because he is still hungry. I worry that I am not making enough milk, but then he has lots and lots of wet and poopy diapers, so he's obviously eating. He just always wants to go another round right after what would seem to be a very satisfying feeding session. It's exhausting. Now I really understand why so many people use formula. If I weren't so worried about protecting Aldo from Nathan's extensive allergies, I would be tempted.

Has your milk supply gotten any more manageable? Our pediatrician said that babies often scream like they are being poisoned at the breast if milk is coming out too fast for them.

5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

People claim that a lot of experiences are beautiful--childbirth, for example. I've never been through it, but from what I've heard, it apparently involves pooping in front of strangers. (That also happens to be one of my biggest fears.) Maybe the end result is beautiful and satisfying, and maybe it even helps you to appreciate what you've got, but I'm sure a person would be thrilled if they could get through it without the poop factor. So don't listen to people.

If it works out for you, that's wonderful. If not, your still Eli's mommy. My mom makes no bones about the fact that she didn't breastfeed me because it was uncomfortable. I know I may be a little freaky, but the one thing that I can tell you, Carey dear, is that I love my mom. --Rita

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home