Friday, April 18, 2008

Boobs...

are all I see. Everywhere I look. Actually, everyone I've encountered since Saturday has seen my boobs, but now everything is looking like boobs to me. This morning, I woke up (or rather, I woke up in the middle of the night to little baby noises wondering if it was time to feed again) and I saw what looked like a giant boob in front of me. It was the corner of my comforter.

Breastfeeding is really intense. Especially this early on when all babies do is EAT. (And sleep and poo/pee). I got some help from an AWESOME lactation consultant (actually, the third one I've talked to), so there is some progress, but things are ROUGH in the middle of the night. I think we are both tired and cranky. Also, this kid eats A LOT. I have been told I am a "prolific" milk producer (there is milk EVERYWHERE, on every surface, on everyone's clothes, and, for a while now, there's been some in my hair). Which I have to be so that my kid doesn't starve.

Also, Eli got back up to his birth weight in 5 days, according to the pediatrician yesterday. On average, babies take 2 weeks. He is a piggie. I am ALWAYS starving. But since someone is sharing my calories, it is kind of awesome that I never feel guilty about eating. I think I'll do some more right now!

To show off...Eli's first night at home...

Eli and Daddy after Eli's first night at home...

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just in case blog-viewers missed my comment yesterday. Check out videos of the kid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIfVjcgj_tA

Josh

10:48 AM  
Blogger Ang said...

That kid is GORGEOUS. Seriously.

11:04 AM  
Blogger AK said...

OMG, that baby is sooooo beautiful!!

Thank you for sharing your experience with breastfeeding - I will be picking your brain about it when the time comes for me. Hang in there - I am sure it will get easier.

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwww! Eli is just the cutest baby ever!

7:19 AM  
Blogger dab said...

Eli is beautiful, and absolutely perfect. I love the video - and how he so clearly is looking to be nursed!
It sounds like you're doing really great with the breast-feeding. And everyone does say it gets easier.

10:07 AM  
Blogger Gwen said...

The country girl is me is actually impressed that you are a "prolific" milk producer. I can't help it--producing plenty of milk earns a lot of respect in my family, whether it's a cow or a woman.

6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're doing great with the breastfeeding--if you ever need info, I've found kellymom to be a good source (http://www.kellymom.com/).
They also have forums where you can post questions, etc. Congrats all around (birth, breastfeeding, etc.)

3:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

THANK GOD i got in touch with you by finally joining the world of facebook, or i would have missed out entirely on these amazing pictures of your beautiful baby boy! he looks so incredibly healthy. and hungry. you and josh must be incredibly pleased about the whole parenting thing, basking in the glow of this amazing being you have created together. 'congrats' really isn't sufficient, is it? i must have kept the information stored somewhere in the recesses of my mind that something important was going to happening soon and i should email you...little did i realize.
-erica

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home