Monday, March 24, 2008

I am about to explode.

So I had a fancy ultrasound last week where they estimated the size of the baby to be 8 lbs 7 oz. That was at 36 weeks and 3 days. At this point, babies gain about .5 lbs a week. So at 40 weeks, that would put this monster at over 10 lbs. Of course, that could be wrong, etc, etc., but my belly itself is measuring overdue (by 4 weeks!) already.

Also, the kid seems nowhere near ready to come on down... So, my doc says he's worried about the size of the kid (vs. the size of me) and it's looking like a c-section is a real possibility - though doc says he'll do what we want and we have a 2nd opinion doc to go to on Thurs. But basically, I FEEL huge. I know this kid is big. I see other people who are farther along than me and smaller all the time. I have been asked if I'm having twins. I am gigantor. All of my internal organs are smooshed. I don't know how my body can deal with much more of this.

Nonetheless, nothing's really going to be happening until after April 4 (unless nature says otherwise), but I am so on the downward slope here, kind of having a heart attack about the fact that I am having a baby, and just barely trudging along with the diss. How do women do this all the time?

5 Comments:

Blogger dab said...

I wish I could share some words of wisdom or inspiration, but I can't even focus long enough to write the talk I am giving in 3 days, let alone make anything close to progress on my dissertation. And I am not nearly as far along as you...

That said, if you can, I would recommend talking to a midwife for a second or third opinion about the actual birth. She may have some suggestions to help prompt the not-so-little guy to hasten his exit, and also some advice for managing the birth.

My uninformed guess is that the kiddo is long, and so he's heavy, but maybe not big in the sense that would complicate birth.

Hang in there! No matter how you look at it, it can't be long now.

4:59 PM  
Blogger Careyoke said...

I guess I'll see how this other doc goes on Thurs before attempting to see anyone else. They can't really tell how long he is from an ultrasound, but he's apparently got a disproportionately gigantic belly. Turns out I'm having a little buddha or something!

6:36 PM  
Blogger Constance said...

I watched The Business of Being Born last night and all I could think about was you and wanting everything to go so well for you! I so wish I could see you as 4 weeks overdue/having twins. How special and hilarious and awesome!

2:59 AM  
Blogger dorotha said...

Maybe the little guy is also pregnant?

12:43 PM  
Blogger AK said...

Oh, you must be SO ready for that kid to come out. Hang in there, I know it's not pleasant. I can barely stand it and I'm not dealing with nearly as big a baby as you are. So has the baby not "dropped" (engaged) yet? I recently read that in some women that doesn't happen until labor starts - so, who knows? - you could still have the baby at any time. If the doc says it's okay, you and Josh might try some of the more enjoyable natural stimulants for labor (*blushing*).

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home