Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Minor heart attack

Baby books generally advise that you do a "kick count" daily - or twice daily to make sure all is well with the baby. This involves sitting there for an hour and counting the babies kicks. Basically, if the baby kicks 10 times in an hour, you are in the clear (and can stop counting). I haven't been doing this. My doctor didn't say to do it, and generally, I feel like my kid has patterns of kicking that I know reasonably well and if those were to change, then I'd worry.

Well, those changed. He seemed pretty still last night. It was sort of weirding me out, but I figured I'd wait and seen. Then, this morning, I felt nothing. He seems to like to wake me up at 5-ish, but I felt two faint little flutters and nothing more. So, I got up and went to the gym, as always. He's usually still then - or I can't tell b/c I'm bouncing around some. I went back to my apt to stretch and still nothing. At this point, I told Josh and started crying. We talked about calling the doctor. I got in the shower - where sometimes he seems to like to be-bop around. Still nothing. I made the bed, lotioned every inch of my body b/c it's all stretched out and dry and itchy, etc. Nothing. Then, finally, while drying my hair (and singing to him b/c I think he likes that) I finally felt him 10+ times in a row. Thank the Lord! I can't believe my baby decided to sleep through the night now. He better never do that again! Until, of course, after he is born. Then I am all for that.

So, yes, I am a paranoid pregnant person. But the thought of something going wrong after all of this was just too much to handle. I gotta tell you, this whole pregnancy thing really isn't fun - at least not to me. I will spare you all the nasty details, but something wonderful better come out of me at the end of this!

2 Comments:

Blogger dab said...

I so completely relate to your anxiety. At the stage I'm at everyone always asks me if I can feel the baby now and even though I do, I keep thinking that it should be stronger, more frequent, or at least more regular. When I think I'm recognizing a pattern - like movement in the evening after dinner - and then it stops, I get a little freaked. Mike even had a little chat with the kid the other day encouraging him to be more active so as not to worry his mom.

That said, I've been told that babies have all different kinds of patterns and can certainly be mellow for great stretches at a time. I'm sure your baby is just as content as can be in there. And there's no doubt he'll amazing on the outside.

5:03 PM  
Blogger AK said...

Oh, Carey, I know exactly how you feel. I had the same experience (no kicks after weeks of vigorous movement) earlier this week, and I imagined the worst. I was so relieved when the movement started up again.

I asked my doctor this week whether I should be counting kicks, and he said no, unless I was typically so busy during the day that I didn't notice any kicking at all. But I just sit in front of the computer all day, so I always notice movement when it happens.

Next time I get all panicky like that, I think I will eat a bunch of chocolate and then lie down. The baby always starts moving around like crazy after chocolate, and usually while I'm resting.

11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home