Thursday, September 02, 2004

To repeat or not to repeat

One question I often ask myself at each careyoke night is whether or not I can repeat a song that I've already done. Sometimes I think, that one got a good response, perhaps I should sing it again. I do indeed enjoy positive feedback. (Love me!) However, other times I think, I don't want to be boring or predictable or get stuck in a rut and defined by certain songs. I also like the challenge of coming up with more good songs to do. In fact, if I didn't have new songs to think about all the time, I might actually do something else - like work on my diss. And that would be crazy! But when will it end? Could we possibly do all the good songs that there are to do (at least on the Kid's list)? Will I be boring if I repeat past songs? Or are some performances worth repeating? How do I know which is the case? And when does a song become a "classic" that can be repeated (e.g., Total eclipse, Survivor)? Is it a classic if it's on Jeremy's "careyoke favorites v.1.0"? "Sister Christian" got on there and I only did it once. Should I do it again? "Sweet Child O'Mine" wasn't on there but I did that a couple of times - once b/c Jeremy signed us (me) up for it. Maybe that'll be on vol. 2...

5 Comments:

Blogger jeremy said...

Sister Christian was an "instant classic." I don't have Sweet Child O' Mine, so it wasn't available for CFv1.0.

12:34 PM  
Blogger dorotha said...

i think someone needs to do a little downloading tonight hint, hint.

4:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think an even more perplexing question is... can you do a song that someone else did previously? What if certain people-who-will-go-unnamed do all the cool songs? (I love you unnamed person!) Can you "steal" a song?

5:14 PM  
Blogger Careyoke said...

Don't worry, Anonymous. That's a topic to be covered soon! It's on the list!

5:20 PM  
Blogger jeremy said...

I did get "Sweet Child O' Mine" off iTunes this morning (I know, I'm a sucker for still spending *99* cents when I could be only spending 49 cents at RealNetworks). I'm listening to it now--it was well worth a dollar.

9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home