Thursday, June 12, 2008

Happy 2 Month Birthday, Baby Eli!

We've survived two entire months! Whoa! And I think things are getting...dare I say it...a bit better breastfeeding-wise and crying-wise generally. His post-feeding screams are not as bad as they were. Actually, they are much better, for the most part. And I can even nip them in the bud on occasion if I catch him starting to spazz early enough.

He still has crying jags at other times in the day, but I think I have discovered that he has been sleep deprived or something. Either that or he is now hibernating for the summer. He's been sleeping quite a bit during the day lately (and doing quite well at night too so far - we are LUCKY with that). I have decided that if I see a yawn, it's time to put him down. If he's crying a bunch, I go with vacuum sounds until he falls asleep in my arms and then swaddle him up good and put him down. I actually managed to turn in a newly revised dissertation chapter draft to G yesterday. It was a miracle (hopefully such a big miracle that I don't have too much more to do with it...please...). A different chapter's revised draft is due next week. We'll see if I can repeat the miracle.

When he's not sleeping...he's looking dapper like this:


Back to Eli though...he is doing some smilies from time to time. I can never seem to catch them on film/video though b/c he is MESMERIZED by cameras. So you'll just have to believe me.
He has also learned to stick his tongue out at me or something. Sometimes he does that instead of smilies, it seems. I got him to follow a rattle and a set of plastic keys with his eyes all over the place. That is new and exciting even if it doesn't sound like it is! He is still a giant. We think he weighs about 16 lbs. That is INSANE. He is pretty much fitting into 6 month clothing already. We'll find out for sure about his weight next week at the pediatrician.

Here is the closest picture to a smile that I've got. Also, he looks like a football player, which cracks me up. I suppose in baby world, he is of football player stature, but it is weird to think that Joshie and I could produce anything football-y at all:


Does that look like a smile?

We are going on our first overnight visit this weekend to Grandma and Granpa's in Delaware. It's just one night so it'll be practice for our 10-day (if Eli can handle that) trip to the beach the following week. Then there'll will be FOUR people to look after him at all times in addition to me. Ahhh! That will rock!

Here he is in his birthday pj's right after doing some really great smilies...

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's way cute, and that definitely counts as a smile. I love the sweater vest. It looks kind of like President Eli is relaxing at Camp David. --Rita

11:46 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey! He does look like a football player!

Can I connect your blog to my blog?

1:25 PM  
Blogger Careyoke said...

Please do!

3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to Eli! I love the smiley picture. SO CUTE!! I really glad the breast feeding thing is finally working out. Also, you are my hero with the dissertation draft thing. Did you want to start up diss group again? JJ

6:46 PM  
Blogger dab said...

Happy Birthday Eli! He's adorable. And congratulations on making it through the first couple of months. I'm so glad to hear things are looking up.
I don't know how you've been making such great progress on the diss. I am very impressed.

8:10 AM  
Blogger AK said...

I am so impressed with both of you! You have to teach me the mysteries of getting writing done with a baby around. I have yet to develop a system that consistently works. I am also VERY impressed with Eli's new skills! Following stuff with his eyes is a big deal (maybe non-parents don't know).

Happy birthday to Eli and happy Father's Day to Josh!

6:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home